Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
SMS Forum Index » Suggestions

Fluxbox - best lightweight WM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DiMag

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Fluxbox - best lightweight WM Reply with quote

I wish a basic GUI with Fluxbox as main WM was offered as an option in addition to (1) pure text and (2) KDE. Indeed I have trouble understanding the Slackware concept of a KISS system with an anti-KISS GUI. On the other hand, a console-only server is, IMHO, a bad idea. You need a GUI if only as a way to manage multiple consoles running in parallel, and a quick scrolling of this forum shows that a web-based remote admin concept shall never be able to configure and tweak everything. It may succeed one day, but whether I shall be around to witness it, I doubt.
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE in SMS is version 3.5.10, so it's not heavy as KDE4, and having konqueror is the real deal, in KDE4 dolphin ain't that handy, when it comes to multitab file browsing and splitting windows e.t.c.

Also with KDE I don't see an anti-KISS GUI as it has many good text editors to edit the text/scripts. like kwrite, kate e.t.c.

Fluxbox by it's own ain't provide anything other than a plain clean desktop, it will use the KDE apps as well, or any other x window app, so in our case is more of a cosmetic thing...

Anyway we are not going to make a fuzz for 700KB, because that's the size of fluxbox package...
Unfortunately I just release SMS-2.0.4 so fluxbox will go to SMS-2.0.5...

For now you can download fluxbox from Slackware mirrors, install it and run "xwmconfig" and select fluxbox window manager and you are set to go...
Next time you run "startx" you will have the fluxbox.

gerasimos_h

DiMag

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize that this was a lighter (prior to 4.x) version of KDE. I agree about Konqueror being the best file manager/browser available, but I think that Doublrcommander (which I have tested on Windows, not on Linux) may coma a close second, and if so the combination of a light WM with a light FM may be hard to resist. The reason I prefer Fluxbox to anything else (yto the point that I have made bblean my default shell in Windows) is the magic of clicking anywhere on the desktop to bring up a fully customizable menu - and by this I mean editable in the way of the good old ini files -, not only for running executables but also for seamless browsing of the file system.
DiMag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I was quick to accept the goodness of KDE. Konqueror is a bad choice. When I want to browse the net I need a browser I am familiar with - for me Opera, for most other people Firefox. I do not need to have to learn new tricks. Besides, Konqueror is, IMHO, a badly designed browser - if you want to add an alternative browser to a server distribution, links2 is the far better choice.

The reason I initially praised Konqueror is that I confused it with Krusader - which is, indeed, a superb tool, the best file manager available on Linux. But, AFAIK, it is not available on SMS.

As to the choice of editor, I would drop all GUI-based tools currently on offer in favor of SciTE - as is the choice of Parted Magic.
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's about personal choices no argue about that Smile

I was referring strictly to file browsing and not internet browsing, although konqueror is not a bad browser in KDE4 now or in KDE3 while back in it's time, don't forget that safari or chrome and other browsers based on webkit which is a KHTML fork, so basically all based on konqueror a bit...

I already add through slapt-get the ability to install firefox and thundebird, beside SMS ain't a desktop OS to give much gravity in internet browsing, and basically not recommend it...

KDE3 exists in SMS for simple tasks to help you set the server, and not for everyday use, although as I stated before on another thread if you know what you are doing, you can use it for everyday OS, but frankly you need to add a few packages to it...

The only reason I ever use scite and have it installed in my devel machine was for search and replace paragraphs or whole functions, that was something that KDE editors wouldn't do...
I had it packed as a default editor while I was testing the XFCE addon at
http://sms.it-ccs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644
Haven't drop the idea, it's just a matter of time...

gerasimos_h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMS Forum Index » Suggestions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: