Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
SMS Forum Index » Suggestions

can it be any lighter?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saimike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: can it be any lighter? Reply with quote

You mention that SMS will make a good torrent station. This is exactly what I am looking for. I only want to run torrent, ftpd and samba on a p3-500/128mb.

Granted it is probably sufficient to run v1.1, how can I just install the bare-minimum for the specific purpose of a torrent station?
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I could make a lighter version just for torrents , but why stick with one thing when you can get the whole package.. You can Disable services for not consuming memory is one choice.
Unfortunately you can't choose packages as main SMS is built like BSD style, whole system into a package, for not breaking anything during installation..
My testings are made on a Pentium III 667 with 128MB RAM and had no problems, but I always recommend more memory...

saimike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you're saying that the "base" s-m-s distro has more stuff than necessary to run torrent-only, and it is not possible to remove the "extras"?

i totally understand your point on flexibility of the distro. i am just wondering if the "base" distro can have less stuff (less is more!), and user can select "torrent station" or "webserver" or "email server" etc ... or a combination.

not everybody wants a full blown LAMP, which is why i am investigating debian and s-m-s as well as slackware, rather than use ubuntu etc.
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so you're saying that the "base" s-m-s distro has more stuff than necessary to run torrent-only, and it is not possible to remove the "extras"?

There isn't any base, whole system is one package at the moment. As I said before you can disable services, disabled services doesn't consume system memory, so it's just space issue.. I'm thinking building a tiny SMS just for torrent stations for Pentium class machines with 133MHz CPU and 32MB memory or maybe less..

Quote:
i am just wondering if the "base" distro can have less stuff (less is more!), and user can select "torrent station" or "webserver" or "email server" etc ... or a combination.

I already have in mind doing that... It's a good point, I don't know when of course!!

Auda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Freesco for a number of years as a firewall, router, DNS, file server and some times web server. Its done the job faultlessly. Now I want to save large files like DVD.ISO's and Freesco can't handle files bigger than 2 GB.

I have been looking for a simple fileserver to do the job. SMS might fit the bill, its dloading now. Like Saimike I don't need or want all the extras that SMS has.

I agree that if you have a computer running it might as well do every thing rather than having two or more computers to do the same job, so maybe the fuller SMS will suit me.

During my search I have only found a couple of still supported file servers, FreeNas which is BSD and doesn't support ext2 very well, SME which is a bit big, "HDD at least 4 GB" and NasLite which is commercial or won't install on a HDD. There were a lot around 4 or more years ago.

This is a bit of a ramble. What I would like is a vastly cutdown version which will include Samba, Swat, Midnight Commander, DNS, Torrent and a text based setup something like Freesco has.

Why not just install the parts of SMS that I want ? Because that would be a 598MB dload rather than 150MB or so. I suspect that it would also be a lot more work and hence chance for mistakes.

Now I will have a go at installing SMS and see if its what I want.
Thanks for your time.

Auda
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like you can try SMS-BTedition and contribute your thoughts, it's a quick and dirty, for bittorrent download only, version.

SMS-BTedition.iso 103MB

gerasimos_h

Auda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have tried it and I like it. Its a lot bigger than I wanted, however whats 3 GB when you have 820 -> 1000GB to play with ?
I have a few questions which I will ask in a different section.
Thanks for SMS.

Auda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMS Forum Index » Suggestions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: