Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
SMS Forum Index » SMS User Support

Xorg falls back on previous(?) configuration?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Xorg falls back on previous(?) configuration? Reply with quote

I doubt if this really is a SMS issue, it might as well be a hardware problem? But since I've got no reasonable explanation from the manufacturer, retailer or the hardware forum I thought I'ld try it here...

I'll try to put the question as short as I can:

I've got a strange little 2011 PC after my friend, a fit-pc2 where he had SMS-2.0.7 i486 installed
You can find spec's here: http://www.systemtech.se/fileadmin/resources/datasheets/compulab/fit-pc2_fit-pc2i_web.pdf

It takes power from an adapter (no machine battery inside). The machine is configurated from factory to automatically restart in case of
Power drop out.
It has got a rechargable system/BIOS battery that probably has got to the end of lifetime.
In BIOS there are no settings for the intel integrated graphics card GMA500 (with very poor Linux driver support).

My friend finally got graphics support with SMS-2.0.7 using a /etc/X11/xorg.conf that I attach as a text file.

Now with that configuration I could only get a display resolution of 640x480@86 Hz (or 800x600@86Hz), and when running in level 3
the text did'nt fit in my monitors screen.
I finally managed to raise the resolution to 1280x1024@0Hz(!!) and now run level 3 text was also readable.
I did it through adding a DefaultDepth 24 in Section "Screen" and Modes under Depth 24 in SubSection "Display".

Now about the mystery:
If I do not start the fit-pc2 in a couple of days, or disconnect the power supply (so it autostarts) the fit-pc2 starts with X running in 800x600@86 Hz?
Though there exists no configuration file that suggest that?
I've also looked in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d (according to man (5) xorg.conf).
-It's not the BIOS battery falling out, at least I think not: the fit-pc2 starts with correct system time.
I figured the machine in someway found the configured xorg.conf being far out of the drivers capacity and made some form of autoconfiguration at boot?
(Perhaps I should add here: If I reboot in this situation, next time X starts with correct configuration, 1280x1024.)

Now, the problem was not that easy:
Since I was afraid that my own configuration that gave a Refresh rate 0 Hz should damage my Monitor I decided to return to the original (my friends) /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
Just to find the similar phenomenon: If I do not start the fit-pc2 in a couple of days, or disconnect the power supply (so it autostarts) the fit-pc2 starts with X running in 1280x1024@0Hz?
Though there now exists no configuration file that suggest that?
(And similar as above: If I reboot in this situation, next time X starts with correct configuration, 800x600)

I've taken my question to the swedish agents support and the fit-pc forum, but no one has got an explanation.

Regards

Lars

PS. ...or could this possibly be a grub2 issue, a bootmgr I never really understood Shocked ? I remember som lines concerning default OS suggesting comfiguring "last used OS" as default.... Could there be any similar concerning X? ...just a shot in the dark Confused DS.

xorg.conf.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  xorg.conf.txt
 Filesize:  1.59 KB
 Downloaded:  2034 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMS Forum Index » SMS User Support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: