Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
SMS Forum Index » First Look

My First Look...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxxlam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: My First Look... Reply with quote

I did not use SMS in action (for now) and I'm still downloading it. (My first look) I'm impressed with the features; particularly Apache, PHP, MySQL, and the others... in one! Currently, I'm using Puppy Linux to post this message because it is lightweight. I like light distros but in puppy, I have to download, install, configure them... download, install, configure again... compile. As a student perspective, time is precious, I have to concentrate on my other subjects, too!

Now, since most (if not all) of the tools we use at school are here, I am expecting a huge time saving.

I have some questions to ask... Can I use this as a regular desktop? Can I install java (yes, I think xD)? Does it fit in my flash drive? Well, I'm not saying I'm leaving Puppy but I'll give SMS a try. =)

What do you think?

gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every distro has it's purpose.
SMS's purpose is to use it as a server.
That doesn't mean that can't be used for browsing, mail e.t.c, but you've got to know what you are doing.
I myself use SMS at work for browsing, mails and not only.
If you want to put it on USB flash disk you will need kde, devel packages, and firefox and thunderbird most likely.
That will cost you about 650MB space in your USB flash disk.

To create modules for firefox and thunderbird, boot from SMS, download packages from slackware-current and use "txz2xzm" command to create the modules.
Do the same apply for Java (jre & jdk) too.

gerasimos_h

xxxlam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mister Administrator for the reply. I'll search the forum for help if I need to. Currently, I'm still in Puppy Linux; and taking my time to evaluate and use some of the features. Well, I'm planning to make a portable server in a flash drive. For now, the important is the Apache Tomcat and MySQL with the PHPMyAdmin. You mentioned about KDE, is it possible to use Xfce of LXDE? Well, KDE is fine.
Rathore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Look... Reply with quote

xxxlam wrote:
I did not use SMS in action (for now) and I'm still downloading it. (My first look) I'm impressed with the features; particularly Apache, PHP, MySQL, and the others... in one! Currently, I'm using Puppy Linux to post this message because it is lightweight. I like light distros but in puppy, I have to download, install, configure them... download, install, configure again... compile. As a student perspective, time is precious, I have to concentrate on my other subjects, too!

Now, since most (if not all) of the tools we use at school are here, I am expecting a huge time saving.

I have some questions to ask... Can I use this as a regular desktop? Can I install java (yes, I think xD)? Does it fit in my flash drive? Well, I'm not saying I'm leaving Puppy but I'll give SMS a try. =)

What do you think?

I think you got the best answer from site admin.
I always use SMS at work for browsing and mails as well.
Rathore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: My First Look... Reply with quote

Rathore wrote:
xxxlam wrote:

What do you think?

I think you got the best answer from site admin.
I always use SMS at work for browsing and mails as well.

Also it is not so easy to use pupply linux
NitaAlexis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way the site administrators have been so active. It encourages us as the community.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMS Forum Index » First Look All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: