Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
SMS Forum Index » Suggestions

SMS for Raspberry Pi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tariq

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: SMS for Raspberry Pi Reply with quote

Hi,

With Raspberry Pi [ http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs ] availability only weeks away wondering if there is any hope of SMS for RasPi ?

Here is a brief snippet from their FAQ:

"The SoC is a Broadcom BCM2835. This contains an ARM1176JZFS, with floating point, running at 700Mhz, and a Videocore 4 GPU. The GPU is capable of BluRay quality playback, using H.264 at 40MBits/s. It has a fast 3D core accessed using the supplied OpenGL ES2.0 and OpenVG libraries.

ARMv6 architecture

In general, you need to look to see whether the program you want can be compiled for the ARMv6 architecture. In most cases the answer will be yes. Specific programs are discussed on our forum, so you might want to look there for an answer."

There was a brief mention of RasPi few months back on ARMedslack list hope with availability of hardware [ price $35.00 for 256 RAM system ] it will get supported out of the box.

Please take a look at http://www.raspberrypi.org/ to have an idea what SMS could do with RasPi.

Tariq
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm aware of the raspberry Pi project, I thought SMS at first, as it reminds me those tiny boards for routers, running a busybox from CF, but those boards had 2 or 4 Ethernets, and of course cost about 130$.

Raspberry Pi comes with no Ethernet, unless you buy option B you mention, and it's on ARM, which means I have to create a 3rd SMS distribution for ARM, based on armedslack of course.

And the question is: Is it worth it?
Let's see some facts.

1. No routing.
The fact that has one ethernet, can't use it for routing or vlans.
You can add from usb hub but is that what we want?

2. Limited disk space.
It has one USB port so you are limited to one DISK NAS option, and I don't recommend a usb hub cause it will be worst.
And most external disks on the market have ethernet and mediaserver.
You can't have a raid array, unless you use a usb hub and will be quite slow.

3. Disk throughput
System runs from an SD card, not the fastest way, I would expect a flash chip, but that is acceptable.

4. Price
Price is cheap, but consider that if you want to use it independently, you need to spend a few bucks for a case, a usb hub probably, a power supply either a battery or a DC 5V adapter.

5. Raspberry purpose
It's purpose ain't for server, so can't blame the project for anything, on the contrary it's a great project, and everyone will get one for sure.

I haven't quit on the idea of creating an SMS based on armedslack though, and I'm still trying to figure out ways of using it, and of course, let's see how the boards actually run no matter what.

gerasimos_h

tariq

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: SMS for Raspberry Pi Reply with quote

Hi Gerasimos!

Thanks for your detailed reply which I am sure will help every one to understand current limitation of RasPi. I have fair idea of its limitations been following it from day one it was announced and have full confidence in its ability to achieve its target which is to attract next generation of developers.

While I agree with all you say which is fact and there is good chance towards the end of current year there will be a new model which will hopefully address some if not all issues you have raised.

Now let us focus on your final point and final comment:

gerasimos_h wrote:

5. Raspberry purpose
It's purpose ain't for server, so can't blame the project for anything, on the contrary it's a great project, and everyone will get one for sure.
gerasimos_h

Agreed! even with all observations noted still if one wanted to use RasPi as learning tool then SMS will serve the purpose ? Remember target is students not some one who is looking to cut the cost of hardware.

What I did not mentioned before is that if we add some light weight desktop to SMS then it will become instantly use full as a Pocket PC + a Learning server.

This is not for business use but for kids to use it as a learning tool at the same time be usefull for their needs which will be met if they can browse the web.

gerasimos_h wrote:

I haven't quit on the idea of creating an SMS based on armedslack though, and I'm still trying to figure out ways of using it, and of course, let's see how the boards actually run no matter what.
gerasimos_h

This is great!

If we have working SMS ready during initial launch period I hope this will give tremendous exposure to SMS beside SMS will be first Slack based distro on RasPi.

Think about it let us discuss it here if this could be done and if it is worth the effort? I believed in RasPi being right thing long before it was public same way now to have a SMS based light Desktop + Server for RasPi but most important is what you and others think about it ?

Tariq.
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that for education purpose, I can create a lighter SMS, either way 256MB RAM for a full SMS server with all services enabled is going to be slow, that's for sure, but it will work no matter what.

Being the first slackware based, I don't think so, since there is armedslack and most likely I'm going to use the core system of it, and Eric Hameleers is going crazy to try armedslack on RasPi. Smile

Also I don't have an ARM device to begin with, so having an SMS ARM ready upon initial launch, will be difficult, might take a while.

gerasimos_h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMS Forum Index » Suggestions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: