Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
SMS Forum Index » Installation Support

SMS.Native.CD-2.0.8-Install
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greyserf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: SMS.Native.CD-2.0.8-Install Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Although I've had a number of years intermittently using & installing various linux flavours, I'm completely new to Slackware and SMS.

I'm trying to integrate a SMS server into my local nw to use as a dedicated samba and CUPS printserver (only those functions are needed - other machines take care of firewall, dns, dhcp etc). The machine I'm using for the printserver is an old Dell PIII with 384mb RAM, using the huge.s SMS kernel.

I'm doing the install and set-up offline (easier for security purposes) and can connect remotely using a CAT5 crossover cable from a Win7 netbook.

I've tried a number of installs now but each time encounter a CUPS error during booting:

Quote:
CUPS: Child exited on signal 4
Unable to start scheduler

After setting up network properties and configuring the various users etc., I then hit problems trying to configure CUPS.

1. When I go to the KDE GUI, I'm unable to start the CUPS Manage Printing app, which reports an error:

Quote:
Could not connect to host localhost (Port 631)

When I look for ports, e.g. with netstat, there is no evidence of port 631 actually being used.

2. When I try to use the local machine's Webmin interface via KDE, I also get an error, after completing the login form:

Quote:
An error occurred while loading https://localhost:10000/session-login.cpi
The pocess for the https://localhost protocol died unexpectedly

3. FYI, for both the Webmin and Manage Printing interfaces, I have tried using the loopback IP as a substitute for localhost, but the results are the same with 127.0.0.1 as for localhost.

4. I also tried to connect to the Manage Printing interface with Lynx but without success.

5. When I use SMS Config Services from the KDE desktop, CUPS displays 'ON' but I cannot start or stop the CUPS server with the Start or Stop buttons.

6. Using a Cat5 crossover cable and appropriate network settings, I cannot contact the webservers from a Win7 notebook using IE11.

7. I tried using an old Firefox Portable edn from the notebook, and was able to access the Webmin interface succesfully, but was not able to configure my printer from there. Although it seemd to be able to start and stop the scheduler on command, adding a printer always failed with an Lpadmin failure message.

8. I was unable to access the Manange Printing gui remotely with either IE11 or Firefox browsers.

9. I also tried to reinstall all the CUPS*, Foomatic*, HP* and Gutenberg* content from the ISO using the --reinstall option, but this had no effect.

10. I played with cupsd.conf but this didn't really seem to help at all. I changed authorisations to overcome any possible security blocks but that made no apparent difference. I also tried setting the debug option so I could find out where things were going wrong but there doesn't seem to be any logfile created.

11. Finally I even tried to use HP-setup to see if that would help me at all, although my printer isn't native HP, figuring that its HP emulation mode would get me further down the track, but I guess the program wasn't able to detect it. When running HP-setup, though I also noted the following warnings:

Quote:
Application compiled with png.h from libpng-1.2.25
Application is running with png.c from libpng-1.4.12.

So finally after a few days getting nowhere, I'm no closer to my goal of getting a network printserver/samba server from this box.

Looks like my installation is severely broken for the functions I wanted to use. Which is a shame because SMS looked ideal for my needs & I thought it would be a great way for me to get some knowlege about slackware. I've always found SAMBA and CUPs really painful to configure anyway.

Ready to give up now. Anyone got any suggestions on other things that somebody with my limited skill level could try?

Different distro with dependency checking, perhaps? lol

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions, and thanks for creating SMS - it certainly fills a need in the linux space.
culinarygods

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda the same thing here....But, I am 1 day new to linux anything. All I need is a box to do torrents and then share the downloads in a file for all to see and not change or write. I have 40 users on 6 wifi nets. Wa using a windows server with out much issue till we has a drive fail over the last few days errors are more and more. So we changed out the drive and thought we would load this as it looked cool.....No luck on install and getting to any web interface. All we need is a folder share for windows users to read and ex and the torrent downloader is nice. But with out any linux brains we are a fail on this I think....But , DNK might play again if we get a willing linux God to hold our hand and help us learn.....Wink
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

did you make a full install, and also did you alter /etc/cups/cupsd.conf...?

What "/var/log/cups/error_log" says about that?

Also to check current status of cups use
smscofig cups status
Code:

root@sms:~# smsconfig cups status
Service  cups           [ Running  ] [ 854 ]

gerasimos_h

greyserf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks very much for your advice, appreciate you taking the time to help.

I tried several install options - generic and huge.s kernels, with different package selections - all packages marked 'recommended' in the installer and my selected module choices only.

smsconfig cups status shows 'OFF'

If I try to enable cups with smsconfig the directive processes without any reported error

If I try to start cups with smsconfig cups start, the same error is always returned - as before

Code:
CUPSD: Child exited on signal 4
CUPS: Unable to start scheduler

I tried using the cupsd.conf out-of-the box. I also tried rasing the logging mode to debug but it made no difference.

The logfile at "/var/log/cups/error_log" is an empty file - it doesn't log anything!
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try looking logs for errors regarding cups at

/var/log/syslog
/var/log/messages

and also
dmesg

The default config should work, although if you made a selection upon installing packages maybe you are missing a dependency....

What's the output of
Code:
ldd /usr/sbin/cupsd

If you don't find the answer I'll be happy and curious to take a look at your system...

gerasimos_h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMS Forum Index » Installation Support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: