Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
SMS Forum Index » Installation Support

Problem installing to HP Proliant microserver Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toothandnail

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Problem installing to HP Proliant microserver Reply with quote

I was about to install the latest version of SMS to an HP microserver (2.2GHz AMD Turion). I've got several machines of this sort with SMS installed, but this time I've hit a bit of a problem...

When I boot the machine, I'm able to get into the BIOS and set things as needed, I can then select from the boot menu (booting from a USB flash drive) and start the boot.

The first prompt (to select a keyboard map) is where the problem first occurs - no keyboard. I'm unable to enter anything at all and have to power the machine down.

I've not had this problem with earlier installations, so I'm wondering if there is something different in the kernel with the new version, or whether there is some other setting I'm missing. The keyboard is USB (no other option on the microserv).

Any suggestions as to how I get keyboard support for installation?

Thanks.

Paul.
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,
SMS-2.0.7 installation has usb support not builtin but through loadable modules...
I have tested usb keyboard support though...
Which version is it, SMS or SMS64....?
Do you get any error while booting?

One quick dirty solution is to switch kernels and initrd.img from SMS.2.0.6 and install SMS or boot SMS.2.0.6 installation media and install from network...

gerasimos_h

toothandnail

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerasimos_h wrote:
hello,
SMS-2.0.7 installation has usb support not builtin but through loadable modules...
I have tested usb keyboard support though...
Which version is it, SMS or SMS64....?

SMS64.

Quote:
Do you get any error while booting?

No errors (well, didn't notice any while the machine was booting). I'm able to use the keyboard when it comes to the first boot prompt (haven't tried loading any alternate kernels). When it gets to the "select a keyboard layout", I get no responses to any key press. Have to use the power switch to power down.

Quote:
One quick dirty solution is to switch kernels and initrd.img from SMS.2.0.6 and install SMS or boot SMS.2.0.6 installation media and install from network...

I re-wrote the USB flash drive with 2.0.5 (other than 2.0.7, the most recent version I've got easily available). Keyboard input works fine with it, just not with the most recent.

I'll have a look at switching kernels, unless you would like me to test any later variations to see if the problem persists.

Paul.
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply, can you try the initrd at
http://ftp.superbminiserver.org/SMS64-Current/isolinux/initrd.img

It seems a depmod was missing, and although kernels modules were in place, couldn't load...

gerasimos_h

toothandnail

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerasimos_h wrote:
Sorry for the late reply, can you try the initrd at
http://ftp.superbminiserver.org/SMS64-Current/isolinux/initrd.img

It seems a depmod was missing, and although kernels modules were in place, couldn't load...

gerasimos_h

Sorry for very later reply. I ended up using an earlier iso and upgrading (ran out of time).

I've now got another Proliant Microserver to install to. Just tried the alternate initrd and its giving me exactly the same problem with the latest iso - keyboard is responsive at the initial boot prompt, but does not work at the keyboard layout choice question.

Any other suggestions? I'd rather use the latest iso if possible.

As a quick fix, I've followed your other suggestion and copied the hugesmp.s kernel and the initrd from version 2.0.5 (I must have missed 2.0.6). That gets the machine to boot with a usable keyboard. I'm a bit wary of what it will do when I install the kernel at the end of the install, but I guess I'll find out soon...

Paul.
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try the latest Current isos from http://ftp.superbminiserver.org ?

gerasimos_h

keopp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

I am now trying to install SMS 64 from an usb stick. I use SMS64-current files. I can boot, cfdisk, mkswap and all other steps in the install menu until I have to provide install source files.

fdisk -l doesent show the usb fs nor mount

I suspect initrd.img because with SMS64 2.0.6 everything goes stright.

Last edited by keopp on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
toothandnail

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerasimos_h wrote:
Can you try the latest Current isos from http://ftp.superbminiserver.org ?

gerasimos_h

Thanks.

Tried that. The 32-bit version works, but the 64-bit still has the same problem - keyboard is active when the machine boots, but when it gets to the keyboard layout selection, the keyboard no longer works.

Paul.
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! Uploading new updated initrd.img with more modules as I write, although problem was that kernels/hugesmp.s/bzImage in SMS64 was forgotten at 3.10.41 making installer useless to load any modules....

Thanks for the bug report...

gerasimos_h

keopp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
I did updated all the Current installation files, and tryed again to do a fresh install. There is still something not working. Symptoms:
- the command line font changes right after bzImage and initrd are processed
- right after completing the installation menu and selecting full install mode, I get the "Setup Complete" message, but actually no package has been installed(2-3 seconds).
toothandnail

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the latest iso, but with the kernel and initrd from 2.0.5 allowed me to install without problems. I then updated using slapt-get.

Mostly seems to be working, but there are problems with this approach as well - depmod reported errors after the install, and I've been unable to SSH into the machine from some other machines (not all, which is the confusing thing...).

I'm also finding that I'm unable to get the CPU (a dual core Turion2) to throttle. Attempting to load the powernow-k8 kernel module fails. Maybe a result of the depmod error.

I'm going to check out the current tree and see if there is any help there. Otherwise I guess I'm going to have to go back and install from the 2.0.5 iso, since its the most recent I've got that works.

I'd use the 32-bit version, but the machine has 8 GB of RAM, and is going to need it, so that's not really an alternative.

Paul.
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keopp wrote:
Hi.
I did updated all the Current installation files, and tryed again to do a fresh install. There is still something not working. Symptoms:
- the command line font changes right after bzImage and initrd are processed
- right after completing the installation menu and selecting full install mode, I get the "Setup Complete" message, but actually no package has been installed(2-3 seconds).

I imagine this is a usb installation, cause I can replicated, boot from cd/dvd should work though with no problem with current isos...
taking a look to see what's wrong...

gerasimos_h

keopp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, it's a usb stick installation attempt.
I'll try to perform a cd install right now and post results.

With SMS64 2.0.6 there are no problems installing from usb.
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems slackware installer is behaving weird, I revert back to our installer and usb installation works, again. also usb probe, only needs to test with usb keyboards on HP proliant...

I upload new initrd.img to superbminiserver.org and rebuilding iso as I write, it will be up sortly...

gerasimos_h

toothandnail

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerasimos_h wrote:
It seems slackware installer is behaving weird, I revert back to our installer and usb installation works, again. also usb probe, only needs to test with usb keyboards on HP proliant...

Smile It certainly is. I had problems writing the iso (wget gives me November 17, 22:01 as a time stamp) to my flash drive (maybe its getting sick - its been rewritten quite a few times recently) so I burnt a DVD. Managed to get it to the install prompt and get it started (not easy - I've now got a wide screen monitor and the video in the Proliant doesn't understand it very well). When I attempted to start the install, it popped the DVD out and prompted me to insert the next CD. Wouldn't go any further than that - kept rejecting the DVD and asking for the next one.

Quote:
I upload new initrd.img to superbminiserver.org and rebuilding iso as I write, it will be up sortly...

gerasimos_h

Thanks! I'll have a look in a bit and see if that works for this machine. Fortunately I've got a microsever of my own, so I can pull one of the drive caddies and experiment with it....

Paul.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMS Forum Index » Installation Support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: