Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
SMS Forum Index » SMS User Support

can it be n00b time?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quint

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: can it be n00b time? Reply with quote

I loaded this distro about two years ago. I'm not very linux savvy, I more or less went with a slack based server because, it works. I experimented with around 20 distro's before I settled with Slackware on my desktop. After I acquired a Dell Appliance Server in 2010 and went looking for a real server os to install, that's when I found sms. I spent weeks and months with google, researching apache, sql, firewall rules etc... setup my domain, loaded my music (ampjuke), movies, pictures etc. and can seamlessly stream from anywhere in the world at any given time, securely... Not bad for a noob. The only mistake I made was, I walked away a couple years ago and just let the thing run. And it runs forever without you ever having to do anything. other than uploading more music and movies over the network or through webmin, you don't do anything... It just works.
Now we got Droids... And I want to stream. vlc is on the droid and I installed vlc through webmin on the headless appliance. But I cannot figure out how to start and run vlc to set it up to broadcast my music.This is what I get at the webmin command line...

> vlc
[0x80de138] inhibit interface error: Failed to connect to the D-Bus session daemon: /usr/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.

[0x80de138] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[0x80de138] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[0x804b0c8] main libvlc error: interface "globalhotkeys,none" initialization failed
[0x804b0c8] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[0x80de138] skins2 interface error: cannot initialize OSFactory
[0x80de138] [cli] lua interface: Listening on host "*console".
VLC media player 2.0.2 Twoflower
Command Line Interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
> Shutting down.
[0x80de138] [cli] lua interface: Requested shutdown.
Bye-bye!
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to stream and transcode music and video, use fuppes or mediatomb available in SMS.
You will find them in extra CD under /extra/DLNA or under testing if you have a very old SMS version installed.
You can find your SMS version with
Code:
cat  /etc/sms-version

You can also use a smb browser in your android device and you can open videos and music via samba service, if you don't really want a DLNA server.

If you need any help let me know...

gerasimos_h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMS Forum Index » SMS User Support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: