Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
SMS Forum Index » Suggestions

groupware comments - accolades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baboo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: groupware comments - accolades Reply with quote

I just can't say it enough - you have done a great job with SMS! I've sent an email to distrowatch asking them to review SMS. Hopefully, the community will be come aware of SMS.

This is a great product for beginner to intermediate skilled people. The servers have all been complied in and done in such a way that they work. Not a trivial thing. I've looked at several servers trying to do this and one that is getting some attention is BEL server. Its based on pclinuxos. There are several problems with BEL. PCLINUXOS has some serious networking issues. Some critical apps like MYSQL is an after thought by PCLINUXOS maintainers.

I am new to slackware but already impressed with how stable and rock solid it is. SMS continues this with rock solid implementations of the critical servers one needs to run a SOHO or small business. Actually, I think you could probably scale up quite easliy. Just keep up the good work.

Groupware:
I have been trying to find a really comprehensive groupware package to include on my SMS server. I've looked at 9 groupware applications. There are some really well designed ones out there: IGsuite, Toutateam, More.groupware, GroupOffice, Xchange, hipergate, Groupware-e, Simple-Groupware, and eGroupware.

Most of these apps are in their native languages and lack documentation. Also, email is an after thought. Email is the most important module along with calendar in these apps. So, I was surprised at how difficult it was to make them work.

I found Simple-Groupware, GroupOffice, and eGroupware to have the best documentation. Simple-Groupware is easy to install and has just about everything. Its interface is a file manager type approach. Not very sexy - but it works! Its one short coming is IMAP email has a design flaw. When you save a message as a draft, it sends it anyway. I don't understand why this hasn't been fixed.

GroupOffice has a dashboard approach and overall is pretty nice. It does not support as many modules as SG or eGroupware but has a nice range. I would rate the interface and layout to be second to eGroupware. But still, a nicely done package.

eGroupware for my purposes is the best. It has a nice interface and layout with the ability to add modules (it comes with alot of modules) and its email module is well done. Has a manual built in and its not bad. However, eGroupware is a pain to install and get up and running. SG and GroupOffice are easier in that regard. But the email and LDAP support with documentation made me choose eGroupware.

I just thought I would share this with the community. If you are looking for groupware, then I suggest that you look at Simple-Groupware, GroupOffice and eGroupware.

If I spoke Italian or French, then I would certainly pick IGsuite or Toutateam. Although I think their support is weaker than the above three I have mentioned.

regards
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: eGroupWare Script Reply with quote

EDIT: eGroupware Add-on is available here

Here is sms.egrouware.sh script for helping in installation of eGroupWare.
You can use the script in Slackware too, you can call it a Slackbuild.

Here is a glimpse of the script..
(note: 'wget' is in quotes for posting it in the forum, real script don't have quotes"
Code:
#!/bin/bash
package=eGroupWare-
version=1.4.002

echo " Checking if $package$version.tar.gz exist"
if [ -f $package$version.tar.gz ]; then echo "$package$version.tar.gz exist Skipping Download"
else 'wget' http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/egroupware/eGroupWare-1.4.002.tar.gz
fi

# Making Directories
mkdir -p /var/lib/egroupware/default/files /var/lib/egroupware/default/backup
chown -R apache /var/lib/egroupware/default/
#Edit php.ini
perl -p -i -e 's/.*;mbstring.func_overload =.*/mbstring.func_overload = 7/;' "/etc/apache/php.ini"
#Restart httpd
apachectl restart
cp $package$version.tar.gz /var/www/htdocs/
cd /var/www/htdocs/
echo "Untar package"
tar -xf $package$version.tar.gz
rm $package$version.tar.gz
chown -R apache egroupware/
#Installing Pear Packages
pear install --alldeps Auth_SASL
pear install --alldeps Net_IMAP
pear install --alldeps Net_Sieve
pear install --alldeps HTTP_WebDAV_Server-1.0.0RC4
pear install --alldeps Log
pear install pear/MDB2#mysql
#Mysql Setup
mysqladmin create egroupware

if [ $DBNAME ="" ]; then
 echo "Choose DBUser for egroupware"
 read DBNAME
fi

if [ $DBPASS ="" ]; then
 echo "Choose Password for $DBNAME"
 read DBPASS
fi
echo "grant all on egroupware.* to $DBNAME@localhost identified by '$DBPASS';" >db.txt
mysql < db.txt
rm db.txt

echo "Go to http://sms/egroupware/ to continue setup"

gerasimos_h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMS Forum Index » Suggestions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: