Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
SMS Forum Index » First Look

Excellent system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toothandnail

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Excellent system Reply with quote

I've installed and run several different Linux servers - SME, Amahi, and e-box. I admin a number of SME machines (mainly remotely, using SSH), so I have a reasonable amount of experience with Linux servers.

A few days ago, I started having problems with the Amahi server I use myself. I've not been all that happy with it for a while, but it has started to become erratic. I really don't want to upgrade to Fedora 14 (used by the latest version of Amahi), so I started looking around for an alternative. For my purposes, I was looking for something to provide DHCP and DNS for my local network, as well as an NTP server, a print server and something for general NAS support. I had already had a very brief look at SMS, but never got round to installing it.

I now have the latest version installed on an old 2GHz P4 (some sort of Dell which I use for testing things...). I've run Slackware or Slackware-based distros for a long time, so SMS has a lot of appeal.

It may take me a while to get everything working the way I want it (SME and Amahi do a lot of things automatically, so I've a fair bit of learning to do), but first impressions are very good. Even on the old hardware that its on at the moment, its quick. Webmin looks very useful (once I learn how to run it properly Smile ), so I expect to be using SMS for a while. Very useful package....

Now all I need is to complete my small server box - 2GB RAM plus two 1 TB hard drives should keep me going for a while. I was uncertain as to what operating system to install on it, but I think I've got the right answer now.

Paul.
andrewz

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to 3 days to install and understand everything on it )
andrewz

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for attantion )
косоглазиеastigmatismпроекты коттеджеймедицинские книгиmp3 скачать бесплатноаудиокниги скачать бесплатноМультфильм
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMS Forum Index » First Look All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: