Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
SMS Forum Index » SMS User Support

webmail and erp modules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baboo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: webmail and erp modules Reply with quote

I like what I've tested so far. Great job for initial release!

I do not have much experience with slackware. So, I am very new to understanding layout. Could you possiblely point me to docs on slackware commands?

For instance, if I wanted to change hostname globally on my other distros I would type 'echo server.example.org > /etc/hostname /bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname'. I am not sure how I would do that in slackware.

Also, any help on how to install packages or use your repository would be appreciated.

Would it be better to install from source? I am some what nervous about that because I don't know how slackware is structured yet.

Anyway, I am really impressed with what you have done

regards
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and Welcome

For commands reference it's pretty much the same with all the distros, but you can visit http://www.slackbook.org/
Slackware uses pkgtool manager (installpkg, removepkg, upgradepkg).
SMS is based on Slackware 12, so you could install any precompiled slackware 12 packages from www.linuxpackages.net or www.slacky.eu for example...
SMS doesn't have development packages, so to compile programs from source you will need a Slackware installation or to install to SMS Slackware/d/ packages from Slackware 12 installation.
I'm glad you like SMS.

gerasimos_h

baboo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply and links.

I'm not sure what you are saying about source. So, if I wanted to install igsuite for instance and it has certain dependencies, I would have to have a Slackware 12 install and then convert to sms?

Sorry, just don't really understand how one would customize this distro for personal use.
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you will have problem with share libraries compiling packages from source, on others distributions..
IGSuite doesn't need to compile anything only to configure, there is a how to on their site..
I might add an IGSuite add-on for SMS later on, cause I was playing around with it in the past and it was interesting.
To customize the distro for your needs, if you want a package that SMS doesn't have, such as firefox for instance , just add firefox package, either a prebuild one from Slackware site or links above, or build a package of yours, you can convert rpm packages to tgz, Slackware can handle rpms but they might need a little touch to work.

Hope I was useful

gerasimos_h

baboo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the answers. Its really impressive how responsive you are and tolerant of my ignorance Smile..

Yes, that was quite helpfull. thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMS Forum Index » SMS User Support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: