Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
SMS Forum Index » Suggestions

another reference of server interface
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baboo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: another reference of server interface Reply with quote

Hi, thought you might find this project interesting. Zeroshell.net has a really nice interface to networking admin.

I think both projects (sms - zeroshell) are well done. I thought you might like to see some of their interfaces for ideas. Since it runs from cd and has small footprint, its easy to take a look.

I used zeroshell to setup wireless security for our pueblos.

regards
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check Zeroshell, it's more of a router though and not a full feature server, with web server, or mysql DB server...
I download to test it though, but I find 100MB quite big for size, as BrazilFW (ex coyote) it's only 5MB and has the same and more, on that category (routers).
As for the PHP interface, I would like to create my own Web Interface but I'm not a PHP man, I 'm trying to learn it though to be able later someday SMS has it's own Web GUI in my way of thinking (Power and Simplicity).

baboo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you did not misunderstand my post. Yes, zeroshell has a lot of router capability and I thought you might find it interesting looking at how fulvio approaches design.

I'm not saying I prefer zeroshell over sms or comparing them as like products.
Zeroshell has several servers built in but from a security context. I use them because I can trust how the security is configured. So, I use it only for this purpose.

However, sms has a server context. At some point I would like to take the security features of zeroshell and combine it with sms.

I am always inspired by looking at many approaches. Just thought you might find it interesting.

While you are working on reducing size of sms, I am not concerned with that. When you purchase a server here in the states, most of the hard drives are 500G or bigger. Alot, have dual drives.

anyway just my thoughts
regards
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't misunderstood anything and I'm not offended in any way, anyone can choose what ever is the best for him, it's reasonable.
In SMS I'm trying to give the power to do everything in a simple away, and approach people that don't have linux skills, as most distros are a bag full of packages.
SMS can do what zeroshell has for instance but it's not configured to run as router. I'm planning on creating a pre configured firewall for SMS with QoS L7 but all things are going to be done when time is right.
And there are thousands linux distros out there, and I'm quite sure SMS is not the first choice and not the only one.
That plurality make as better Smile
Any criticism you or others are may have are welcome, so don't worry if you write something wrong, that's the reason this forum made for.

Kind Regards
gerasimos_h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMS Forum Index » Suggestions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: