Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
SMS Forum Index » General Discussion

sms preconfigurations of servers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baboo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: sms preconfigurations of servers Reply with quote

I have been reading past posts of sms users and myself. The same questions are being asked and I thought we might discuss them here and get the communities opinion.

SMS is a great solution! Gerasimos, has done an excellent job of providing a mini server that is well patched and stable. When your admin skills or linux skills are not as strong as you want, then having a solution like SMS is really helpful. It allows you to have something up and running with just a little effort and then one can start learning how everything works. SMS is extremely stable! I can attest to this.

There is a lot of value in just having the OS and basic servers all implemented and working right out of the box, so to speak. However, I think we might need some clarification from Gerasimos of what he wants to provide.

In a few posts he has stated that servers are preconfigured and can be used. This is true for DNS, Mysql, Apache, PHP, Perl and so on for basic servers. But when it comes to using LDAP as a central repository with Postfix, Dovecot, and egroupware, I think there is some confusion.

These have all been configured with sms.org as the entity. Maybe I am confused but I do not see how you can use the existing configuration. Each admin will want to have a solution that is personalised for them.

So, maybe just having those servers installed and patched are enough. If not, and the community wants them preconfigured, then in my opinion they should be setup so they are easily modified. Gerasimos, may not want to provide that and that is understandable.

One thing I would like to point out is that there have been requests from several users asking how things flow. The replies have been fairly short. This could be because Gerasimos is very smart, and he thinks we get it Smile BTW, he is VERY smart. I could digress and tell you how quickly I've seen him learn something but that is for another time.

Anyway, I am not sure if I am being clear, so would like feedback from other users and your experiences and opinions.

Well, what do you sms users say?

ps: I am working on documenting some tips and how tos for sms. Gerasimos, has shared many things with me over the last year and I want to document them for others.

regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMS Forum Index » General Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: