Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
SMS Forum Index » SMS User Support

ddclient issue | Solved!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: ddclient issue | Solved! Reply with quote

Hi!

Can I bother you with a ddclient issue, though not using your latest software? That is I run S*M*S-1.6.0 and use the built-in ddclient-3.8.0-i486-1sms and perl-io-socket-ssl-1.38-noarch-2sms.

The problem is in short: I've used ddclient against dyndns.com for over 6 months and it has worked like a charm. -I recently registered a "real" domain at a swedish webhotel (Loopia, well known and well reputated in Sweden) and now trying to use ddclient against their server ddclient no longer stores my current ip in ddclient.cache and therefore updates in an "abusive" way, that is every 10th minute (as I've set it).
Consequently my /var/log/messages every tenth minute reports:
Code:
Sep  6 10:01:55 eserver ddclient[14271]: WARNING:  file /tmp/ddclient.cache, line 3: Invalid Value for keyword 'ip' = ''
Sep  6 10:01:55 eserver ddclient[14271]: WARNING:  file /tmp/ddclient.cache, line 4: Invalid Value for keyword 'ip' = ''
Sep  6 10:01:56 eserver ddclient[14271]: WARNING:  updating <my-domain.org>: nochg: No update required; unnecessary attempts to change to the current address are considered abusive
Sep  6 10:01:56 eserver ddclient[14271]: WARNING:  updating <www.my-domain.org>: nochg: No update required; unnecessary attempts to change to the current address are considered abusive

I've read all the other threads concerning ddclient, but haven't found anything similar. I've tried an open search on internet and have found people reporting similar problem but almost always in Debian or derivative distributions, but have not found a usable solution. -I really don't think this is a software bug since ddclient has served me well for half a year. -I've tried almost all possible configuration changes in ddclient.conf without result. -My best guess is that the problem of not getting an ip in the cache is that something in their server is blocking it? I've sent a question to their 2nd line support but haven't got any reply so far.

If you say it's OK I can provide more specific information.

Best regards
Lars

Last edited by Lars on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: ddclient issue | Solved! Reply with quote

Since I found no way of getting ddclient to perform in a civilized manner I made an excursion to OpenSUSE 12.3, installed and configured ddclient 3.8.1 (in the same way as in SMS). -There ddclient could register my current IP in it's cache and hence didn't persist in updating.

Returned to my SMS, downloaded built and installed the Slackbuild for ddclient-3.8.1,

That made it! Very Happy It immediately wrote my current IP to cache and just updated the server once! (While reading the ddclient files from Slackbuild I also built and installed the perl-IO-Socket-SSL-1.54 to be sure. I am not sure if that affected the result in anyway? The perl-io-socket-ssl-1.38 was already installed and didn' recognize the 1.54 as an upgrade, but a fresh install. -I thought I should mention it though.)

So... this time I didn't have to bother you Wink !

Best regards
Lars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMS Forum Index » SMS User Support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: