Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
SMS Forum Index » SMS User Support

X problems and dnsmasq update
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toothandnail

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: X problems and dnsmasq update Reply with quote

First, merry Christmas to all. Having a quiet day trying to catch up with a couple of unfinished projects...

First, while its not too important, I'm having problems using X under SMS. I've tried all the options mentioned in the manual, and have X working. However, when I exit from the X session, the screen is left in a most peculiar mode, and I'm unable to change to another virtual terminal or get back to normal resolution.

The machine I'm using is a purpose built server, using an AMD Sempron 145 in a MSI motherboard. Lspci gives me this for the video hardware:

Code:
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS880 [Radeon HD 4250]
01:05.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4200 Series]

I've run Salix on the machine, and have no problems with X under Salix, so I'm far from sure what could cause the problems I'm seeing under SMS.

Second item. I use dnsmasq for DHCP and DNS. The version in SMS 2.0.2 is 2.57, but the current version is 2.65. I can do my own build, but I'm not sure whether there are any special settings in the configure for SMS. Are the SMS slackbuilds available anywhere? Or is there anything special I need to look out for in building an updated version?

Paul.
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Christmas,

X in SMS is a bit old (slackware-13.1), but for start try to disable vesa framebuffer by changing in /etc/lilo.conf "vga = normal" don't forget to run lilo, or edit cmdline at boot prompt.
Another option is to build AMD(ATI) proprietary driver, although I don't see a reason for.

As for dnsmasq we use slackware's dnsmasq untouched so you can use slackware's slackbuild at
http://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/pub/slackware/slackware-current/source/n/dnsmasq/

gerasimos_h

toothandnail

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerasimos_h wrote:
Merry Christmas,

X in SMS is a bit old (slackware-13.1), but for start try to disable vesa framebuffer by changing in /etc/lilo.conf "vga = normal" don't forget to run lilo, or edit cmdline at boot prompt.

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried that, helps a bit, but only a bit. When I exit from KDE the screen goes into the same strange resolution. However, after the change the console can still be used. It would be nice to be able to get it back to its native 1280x1026 resolution, but it doesn't render the system unusable, which it did before.

Quote:
Another option is to build AMD(ATI) proprietary driver, although I don't see a reason for.

Smile I agree - really not worth the trouble. Once I've finished setting the server up the way I want it, I'm probably going to be using it pretty well exclusively via ssh or the web interface.

Quote:
As for dnsmasq we use slackware's dnsmasq untouched so you can use slackware's slackbuild at
http://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/pub/slackware/slackware-current/source/n/dnsmasq/

gerasimos_h

Thanks. Got the files and built the new version - running fine now.

Paul.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMS Forum Index » SMS User Support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: