Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
SMS Forum Index » Installation Support

Installation on an eeePC?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Installation on an eeePC? Reply with quote

Hi!

Does anyone know or have experience of installing S*M*S on an eeePC?

I got attracted by it's low power consumption (14-16 W) that would make it suitable as a server.

The one I've got is an ASUS 1008HA with approx specs:
processor, chipset and probably graphics: Intel Atom N280
RAM: 1GB DDR2
HDD: 160GB 2.5" SATA II
I/O: 2 x USB2
LAN & WLAN

Regards
Lars
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download SMS.LiveCD and install it on a USB stick and boot from it.
I had boot it with the kde add-on, on a Acer Aspire One with similar specs and it was flying.

gerasimos_h

Lars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks gerasimos_h!

I'll giv it a try!

Best regards
Lars
Lars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear gerasimos_h!

First of all, I must compliment you for your excellent installationCD! Very Happy

Since I saw that the Native-install-CD contained the kde add-on I used it instead. Went smooth.

There are however som issues I wonder if you could help me sort out?
Before I must mention that I'm not very experienced with Slackware and normally use Gnome and never use Lilo Shocked

First Text size: During boot I get the message "undefined video mode" and is suggested "317". Have also tried 315 and 6 (very few choices). The problem is that when I come to the last sequence of boot the text becomes "micro", if not "pico" and up in the left corner of the screen? And remains that way?

Second Keyboard layout: I installed se_latin1.map and it works allright as long as I am in textmode. -In KDE I get an us_english keyboard layout?
I can live with it, but is it possible to get the swedish keyboard in KDE?

I configured two severspaces, one etx3 where I mounted home, and one FAT32 that I mounted under /mnt/winserver
-I am not used to fmask and dmask (normally use umask) and want root and roots group to be able to rw the vfat partition. Do I set fmask=113? and dmask=?

Last and most important My network cards (perhaps similar to Your Acer Aspire?): ASUS are not very lucid about their hardware, but I think the ethernet card is an Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
and the wireless an Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter.
For different reasons (I can explain if you like Wink) I prefer to use the wireless card but don't seem to get it working?
It seems that the driver I need, ath9k, is at place and active in lsmod (together with ath, ath9k_common and ath9k_hw)?
I tried the Network config tool in KDE that says my platform is not supported and asks me to suggest one working. Tried Debian-Lenny that I've had installed on this machine, but no success?
-Do you have any suggestions?
-And do you perhaps know what driver it is for the AR8132? (have searched!)

Many thanks in advance and my best regards
Lars
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars wrote:
First Text size: During boot I get the message "undefined video mode" and is suggested "317". Have also tried 315 and 6 (very few choices). The problem is that when I come to the last sequence of boot the text becomes "micro", if not "pico" and up in the left corner of the screen? And remains that way?

Edit /etc/lilo.conf and change
vga = 791
to
vga = normal
or choose from
Code:
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
# vga=791
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k
# vga=790
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
# vga=773
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k
# vga=788
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k
# vga=787
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256
# vga=771
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k
# vga=785
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k
# vga=784
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256
# vga=769

and don't forget to type lilo.

Lars wrote:
Second Keyboard layout: I installed se_latin1.map and it works allright as long as I am in textmode. -In KDE I get an us_english keyboard layout?
I can live with it, but is it possible to get the swedish keyboard in KDE?

Open Control Center -> Regional & Accecibility -> Keyboard Layout
Enable layouts and choose your keyboards.

Lars wrote:
-I am not used to fmask and dmask (normally use umask) and want root and roots group to be able to rw the vfat partition. Do I set fmask=113? and dmask=?

dmask=002 has rwx for owner and group and rx for others, if you don't want to execute you can use 113
but you can use umask if permissions are the same.

Lars wrote:
I tried the Network config tool in KDE that says my platform is not supported and asks me to suggest one working. Tried Debian-Lenny that I've had installed on this machine, but no success?

Choose Slackware not debian if you are going to use KDE, or else, see the attached pdf from the upcoming documentation about network configuration.

If modules are loaded, most likely both cards are discovered.
Type "lspci" to identify your network cards.

gerasimos_h

Page25.pdf
 Description:
Network Configuration

Download
 Filename:  Page25.pdf
 Filesize:  52.6 KB
 Downloaded:  1302 Time(s)

Lars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your very quick reply! Didn't expect any till monday Smile !

The second problem Keyboard in KDE was solved according to your answer.

The first, concering video mode in textmode, remains though. Tried several of your suggestions without any change of the resolution/text size when I don't run X or when I do.
Not quite sure I understood your comment "and don't forget to type lilo."? Unless you meant write the changes in /etc/lilo.conf?
Perhaps I didn't explain the problem well enough:
I have got no problems with screen resolution in X. The problems are solely when I run in textmode (runlevel 3 in SuSE).
If I change lilo according to your instructions the textresolution of the first part of the boot message changes. But the last and final part of boot come out with an extremely small and unchanged textresolution! Equal when I continue to run in textmode.
The text on an 19" screen comes out in the upper left corner of the screen in a 10 x 10 cm square with about 36 lines/10 cm! -I can cope with it, but only with strong reading-glasses Very Happy !

Thanks for your explanation of f- and dmask! Have now set them accordingly and it works as I wanted!

The final problem with the wireless though is not solved. But I don't feel comfortable to bother you any more with it, since I'm not used to wlan-configuration in Slack?

I can say so much that my guesses about the hardware were right according to lspci. Probably are, as you said, drivers for both at place. I tried a graphic configuration from the Slack12.2-platform (and wondered about the WEP-login? My wireless network is configured to use WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES) and not work as a DHCP-server. -In that way I could not reach my gatway. -Then I tried the suggestions from your attached p. 25-pdf but applied to wlan0. -It seemed to work according to # ifconfig, but I still cannot reach gateway.

But, as I said, you really don't have to bother with this! I can consult a friend when he comes home next week! Only if you absolutely want to and say so I can describe my efforts.

Best regards
Lars
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars wrote:
Not quite sure I understood your comment "and don't forget to type lilo."?

Type "lilo" to reinstall lilo. When you made changes to /etc/lilo.conf you need to reinstall lilo.

KDE-3.5.x had a weak point with WPA authentication, you can try wpa_supplicant GUI, it's available, or you can install wicd and give it a try.

You can take a look at
http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=slackware:network#wireless_configuration_in_rc.inet1.conf
for configuring WPA with slackware through terminal.

gerasimos_h

Lars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerasimos_h wrote:
Lars wrote:
Not quite sure I understood your comment "and don't forget to type lilo."?

Type "lilo" to reinstall lilo. When you made changes to /etc/lilo.conf you need to reinstall lilo.

Sorry, no. Reinstalling lilo after every change and reboot makes no difference to the textsize in textmode (nor to the resolution in X. But that is, as I said, allright!) But the textmode resolution really is not!

I'll take a look at
http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=slackware:network#wireless_configuration_in_rc.inet1.conf

Best regards
Lars
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to force video mode in append option in /etc/lilo.conf, like
append="video=800x600"
or
append="video=640x480"
your vga setting leave it in normal
vga = normal
and always type "lilo"

gerasimos_h

Lars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the late reply. I did post one immediately with many thanks; but somehow it disappeared?

append="video=800x600"
and
vga = normal
made it! Very Happy

Many thanks!
Lars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMS Forum Index » Installation Support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: