Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register
SMS Forum Index » SMS User Support

booted live CD - network connection not set up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredvej

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: booted live CD - network connection not set up Reply with quote

S-M-S seems to offer exactly what I want for the server I will set up, including torrentflux and bootp. Unfortunately, I cant' experiment much with it, as it does not start the network connection upon boot.

Am I supposed to login as root and set it up by hand ? How do I do that ?

ifconfig finds my ethernet NIC as eth1 , but even if I use it to set IP- and broadcast adresses and netmask, the connection still doesn't work.

Now what ?
fredvej

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw the post http://sms.it-ccs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5 , I came a step further.

I booted, logged in as root, found and edited /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf to set IP-address and netmask for eth1 and the default gateway. Then I ran
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 start
and HEY PRESTO - my net connection worked Smile

Now I'm experimenting with the webmin interface to see what I need to configure.

Once I've set the settings, I hope to be able to boot the server and have it come alive with working net connection and settings as I have set them - and I want it to work without having to login on the server.
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi and Welcome..
That's a bug that is going to be fixed... DHCP is enabled for eth0 only and for some reason (possibly I left a line somewhere) on most machines -not all - skips eth0... If you installed it on HDD there will be no problem.. If you boot from liveCD you don't need to edit the rc.inet.1.conf all the time just run "dhcpcd eth1" Wink

Thanks for using SMS!

fredvej

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't figure out how to make S-M-S load my backed up settings during the boot proces. Isn't it supposed to scan all detected partitions for backup.tgz and load it if found ? That would be the only way to make a server boot up from a live CD and become correctly configured without manual interference.
gerasimos_h
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMS LiveCD is built with Linux-Live scripts 6.1.4.. it understands .dat files..
Download slaxsave.zip and unzip what .dat size (128,256,512,1024) you want to a partition of yours.
If you leave it as slaxsave.dat it will automatically loads it and save what changes you may do, and reload them at boot...
If you change the filename of .dat, then you have to boot with "changes=/path/yourfilename.dat"
But booting from liveCD doesn't give a lot of space for download torrents unless you changed torrentflux's download folder...
Any reason why don't install it on HDD?

gerasimos_h

fredvej

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Using SMS as LiveCD - saving changes Reply with quote

Thank you, I'll use the slaxsave thingy.

I just discovered SMS and I haven't built my server yet, so I'm experimenting with SMS on my desktop PC. I haven't installed it for two reasons :

1) I'm still experimenting with SMS, and I have to keep the desktop PC ready for everyday normal use.

2) I like the LiveCD approach to upgrading : just change the CD/boot media and reboot, and the new version is running - albeit with some tweaking of settings. No risk of breaking the system, if the upgrade fails, I simply go back to the old boot media.

In regard to limited space, I will mount disk on the appropriate paths to provide adequate space for the purposes, or, as you write, change the destination paths for torrents and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMS Forum Index » SMS User Support All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: